HR Benefits Specialist
Community Action Partnership San Luis Obispo, CA Full-time Human Resources
Posted on May 17, 2023
HR Benefits (Bilingual Required)
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401, USA Req #1833
About the Position:
We are looking for an experienced HR Benefits and Leave of Absence (LOA) Specialist to join our team! In this role, you will be responsible for managing the administration of employee benefits and leave of absence programs, including the review, analysis, ADA process, and implementation of new programs. You will also be responsible for providing advice and guidance to employees and managers on benefits and leave of absence policies and procedures. To be successful in this role, you must possess excellent organizational and communication skills, as well as strong attention to detail. If you have a passion for HR and have a proven track record in benefits and leave of absence administration, we would love to hear from you!
We would love to hear from people with:
- Associates degree in HR or related field, plus two years experience in HR and/or benefits administration.
- Minimum 4 years experience in HR and/or benefits administration.
- Plus 1 year experience directly working with Leave of Absences and ADA Process.
- Spanish fluency (verbal and written) is required.
A plus but not required:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field, or equivalent work experience, required.
- In-depth knowledge of California employer benefits.
- SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP credential preferred.
The Benefits/LOA Specialist:
- Ensures the accuracy of all benefits enrollments in the HRIS to provide vendors with accurate eligibility information.
- Administers open enrollments. Notifies employees and coordinates meetings with insurance reps. Assigns and tracks electronic enrollments and related documentation.
- Acts as a liaison between employees and insurance companies to research and resolve problems with claims, non-payments, billings, lost identification cards, etc.
- Conducts presentations and develops training materials for new and current employees around the agency's benefit plans, eligibility, and how to enroll.
- Administers Cafeteria Plan/Flexible Spending Accounts. Conducts open enrollment and works with employees to show benefits of the plan. Processes all forms, forwards vouchers and checks, and maintains employee files.
- Processes benefit enrollment forms, including retirement distribution and/or loan requests. Checks forms for accuracy and signatures, enters information into the HRIS system, and distributes information to employees.
- Ensures that benefits programs are administered effectively, efficiently, and in accordance with Agency policies and legal regulations
- Performs quality checks of benefits-related data.
- Leave of Absence/ADA
- Works closely with a third party administrator on Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and California Family Rights Act (CFRA) requests and processing.
- Monitors third party administrator portal to ensure that federal and state regulations are met and requests are being processed timely.
- Process and inform payroll of any payments received for benefit premiums or loan payments.
- Calculate and process coordination of benefits.
- Works closely with the payroll department to resolve any discrepancies and reconcile employee benefit premium/loan payments.
- Completes EDD requests for disability paperwork: medical, personal, disability and FMLA/CFRA.
- Effectively interprets FMLA and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences/disabilities.
- Responsible for the complete cycle of the interactive process and accommodation in ADA leave cases, including return to work for these cases for non-occupational and occupational cases.
- Serves as the primary contact for employee’s seeking reasonable accommodations through the interactive process.
- Ensures the interactive process and procedures are effectively executed and managed in accordance with federal, state and local regulations.
- Monday to Friday (occasional evenings and weekends), 40 hours per week. Typically 8am-5pm. 1 remote day per week (after training period).
- Position is based in San Luis Obispo. Reliable commute or planning to relocate before starting (required).
Additional Eligibility Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age by date of hire.
- Must comply with the CAPSLO COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, either being fully vaccinated/boosted or have an approved exemption.
- Based on program, a current TB skin test/Chest X-Ray may be required.
- Employment is contingent upon meeting all applicable job requirements and background requirements. A criminal history clearance is required prior to employment.
- Upon hire, agency staff will check the Megan’s Law (or the current sexual predator website) to ensure each staff being hired is clear for employment. Agency staff will check the website annually to ensure all program staff are cleared to work.
Please note this job advertisement is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To view the full job descriptions click HERE.
IBenefits & Perks:
- Keep yourself healthy with our comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance plans (Did we mention we pay your monthly premium at 100% if you are full time, YES…100 %!)
- Keep your family healthy with the same comprehensive Medical, Dental, Vision available for you to purchase!
- Address everyday concerns with access to our Employee Assistance Program for you and your family.
- Get involved with company-sponsored monthly wellness challenges!
Be Financially Fit!
- Save for your future by enrolling into our retirement plan with generous company matches after 6 month.
- Set aside pre-tax dollars to cover medical or child care expenses through our Flexible Spending Plans.
- Utilize Discounts from our partners (reduced rates for pet insurance, cell phone services, car rentals and more).
Take time for you!
- Relax, recharge, and reconnect with friends and family or plan your get away for a few days while using your vacation time awarded to you every pay period!
- Relax when you are sick, rest assured you are covered by your awesome team and accrued paid sick time!
- Enjoy the holidays! You get 13 of them…PAID!
Have fun at work!
- Celebrate birthdays and anniversaries with your team!
- Join one of our committees and meet employees across the agency.
- Do not worry about coffee! We will provide it...along with a library of creamers!
- Rock your CAPSLO provided hats, t-shirts, sweaters and more!
- Be you!