Special Education Associate
Des Moines Public Schools is Iowa's largest provider of K-12 education and one of the metro area's top employers. DMPS is looking for Special Education Associates for the 2022-23 school year.
Assist teachers in the instruction, supervision and care of students with disabilities in a variety of instructional settings, including special education, general education and work/community settings. This position requires continuous use of independent judgment.
Successful candidates for this position will possess:
High School Diploma, HiSET or G.E.D.
Must have one (1) of the following:
- 48 credit hours post-secondary education
- Associate’s degree or higher
- Paraeducator certification from Board of Educational Examiners
- Combined score of 150 or higher on the COMPASS test
- Passing score on the AccuPlacer test.
Highly Qualified Candidates for the position will possess:
Successful work or volunteer experience with disabled population.
Supervisory experience with school age children
Salary starts at $15.86. Compensation based on skills, work experience and education.
Des Moines Public Schools offers a generous benefits package including:
- Family Health Insurance at no cost to the employee during the first year of employment ($600/year after that) There is opportunity to have the $600/year waived in future years with participation in the district wellness program.
- Family Dental Insurance with a minimal monthly cost (Single dental insurance coverage at no cost)
- Enrollment in IPERS (Iowa Public Employee Retirement System)--a defined benefit plan
- Free DART Bus Pass
Des Moines Public Schools serves a community rich in diversity – in every measure of the term – and strives each and every day to support our students and staff so that they thrive, learn and belong. DMPS is committed to Becoming The Model of Urban Education, and creating a transformational system oriented toward equity and anti-racist leadership.