Transfer and Career Advisor
SALARY $40,000.00 Annually
LOCATION Lake City, FL
JOB TYPE Full-time
JOB NUMBER 202300011
DIVISION Vice President, Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
DEPARTMENT Advising Services
OPENING DATE 09/13/2023
CLOSING DATE 10/13/2023 11:59 PM Eastern
This is a professional position responsible for transfer, career, and academic advising for all FGC students.
Examples of Duties
(Note: The following examples of work as listed in this job description are not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the classification. The omission of specific statements does not preclude management from assigning specific duties not listed herein if such duties are a logical assignment to the position.)
- Responsible for providing information and services in support of students transferring to baccalaureate programs.
- Maintain and build relationships with the twelve Florida state university system school’s transfer admissions and enrollment offices as well as the other Florida College System schools with baccalaureate programs.
- Promote transfer and articulation agreements currently in place for FGC students.
- Perform individual and group presentations providing information to students looking to transfer to four year undergraduate programs.
- Serve as a liaison and advocate for students transferring to universities as required.
- Work with Director of Academic Advising and Career Services and Institutional Effectiveness to design a formal assessment plan to monitor and maintain student transfer data for evaluation and review.
- Develop transfer advising and strategy planning tools to best support students during the transfer process to include credit transfer policies, the Common App, admission requirements, and deadlines.
- Serve as point of contact for four-year colleges and universities looking to recruit FGC students. .
- Assist students with the process and research of selecting a major based on strengths, values and career goals.
- Assist students in career development.
- Track student’s progression toward a degree.
- Provides information and interpretation of academic and transfer matters.
- Works closely with baccalaureate colleges, vocational schools and others to coordinate visits and services for transfer-directed students.
- Directs and assists FGC students, in career exploration, through the use of” Career Coach” software, interest inventories, resources for school and career research, and the application of assessment and testing results.
- Refers students to other relevant campus resources including instructional and student services areas; coordinates closely with resource/referral/services on campus and at other colleges.
- Works with Director of Academic Advising and Career Services with the coordination and implementation of special events including Transfer Day/ College Fair, and Career Day, including arranging presenters/exhibitors, advertising, recruiting attendance, and logistics;
- Stay current on local and national transfer trends, obtains and maintains materials for the career and transfer center to provide excellent transfer services;
- Advises and registers students for classes each term.
(These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related marginal duties as required.)
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES, AND SKILLS:
Knowledge of the college transfer admissions process specifically for students transitioning from a two-year college to a four-year college or university. Knowledge of human growth and development theory; career counseling and advising theory; multicultural differences and needs; differences in personalities and learning styles and interpretation of achievement tests. Skill in communication, written and verbal; able to use computer for work – Microsoft Word, Excel, and programs necessary for advising and tracking students. Ability to work well with others in a team approach; to work with a diverse population of students; to work with faculty and outside community leaders; and to plan, organize, and attend to details on all paperwork.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Student Development, Counseling, Psychology, Education, or related fields, plus two years of experience in advising, counseling, teaching, or related area. Computer literate.
Experience with community college or non-traditional students, academic advisement, and career counseling. Experience with Florida’s state rules and regulations.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS:
Acceptable eyesight (with or without correction)
Acceptable hearing (with or without hearing aid)
Ability to communicate both orally and in writing
Use of fingers.
Works inside in an office environment.
(Reasonable accommodations will be made in accordance with existing ADA requirements for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.)
Florida Gateway College does not discriminate in education or employment-related decisions on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, gender, religion, disability, age, marital status, genetic information, sexual orientation, pregnancy, or any other legally protected status in accordance with the law.