There are a number of reasons you will enjoy working for Gallup McKinley County Schools and living in our community. From our beautiful desert landscapes to our hiking, camping and outdoor activities, we offer something for everyone. Our educational programs are data proven to offer both a rigorous education for our students and unparalleled supports for educators. Our benefits package is the highest allowable in the New Mexico. We are offering $20,500 - $26,500 in total signing incentives for teacher, administrators and counselors. We also offer free housing and utilities in our county schools. Please go to gmcs.org to learn more!
General Job Description: The Elementary teacher will provide guidance and instructional experiences that are academically and developmentally appropriate for students. The teacher is held accountable to the New Mexico Teacher Competencies and Domains. The teacher will also deliver State and District curriculum and provide equal educational opportunities for all students.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities - Essential duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
• Planning and Preparation
o Demonstrates knowledge of content
o Design of coherent instruction
o Setting Instructional Outcomes
o Demonstrating knowledge of resources
o Demonstrating knowledge of Students
o Designing of Student Assessment
• Creating an Environment for Learning
o Creating an environment of respect and rapport
o Organizing physical space within learning environment
o Establishing a culture for learning
o Managing classroom procedures
o Managing student behavior
• Teaching for Learning
o Communicating with students in a manner that is appropriate to their culture and level of development
o Using questioning and discussion techniques to support classroom discourse
o Engaging students in learning
o Assessment in instruction
o Demonstrating flexibility and responsiveness
o Communicating with families
o Participating in a professional community
o Reflecting on teaching
o Demonstrating professionalism
o Growing and developing professionally
• Follow board policies and administrative rules and regulations
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Manage time appropriately
• Maintain accurate and complete records of grades and attendance as required by the school district
• Report progress or lack thereof to parents in a timely manner
• Attend and participate in faculty, professional meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops.
• Complete duties (hall, bus, etc.) as assigned
• Leave adequate preparations, including lesson plans, for a substitute teacher
• Take precautions to protect equipment, materials, and facilities
• Actively and appropriately participates and collaborates in school teams/committees
• Support district initiatives
• Demonstrate public relations skills
• Use and apply appropriate conflict resolution skills
• Use diagnostic data to improve instructional programs
• Be available to parents, students, administration and peers outside the school day
• Attend and sponsor extracurricular activities
• Report suspected child abuse and neglect
• Complete Safe Schools training as directed by the District.
• Be responsible for students on field trips
• Act as a good role model within the context of the school
• Supervise educational assistants, practicum students, student teachers, and high school vocational lab/volunteer students
• Follow district and school policies and procedures
• Accept other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the principal
Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university, valid New Mexico teaching license with endorsements as needed. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
Physical Requirements: Ability to perform the job and access the environment for which you are hired. The following may be required: Sitting, standing, lifting, moving about the room or school, carrying (up to 50 pounds), reaching, squatting, kneeling, prolonged typing, physical ability to type on a keyboard terminal, and moving light furniture.
Equipment/Technology Handled: Must know how to properly operate or be willing to learn to operate all multimedia equipment including current technology.
Work Environment: Must be able to work within various degrees of noise, temperature, and air quality. Interruptions of work are routine. Flexibility and patience are required. Must be self-motivated and able to complete job assignment without direct supervision. After hour work may be required.
Terms of Employment: Salary and work calendar established yearly by the district.
All GMCS schools are eligible for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF).
All applicants must upload copies of official transcripts or evaluations of foreign transcripts from any and all accredited colleges/universities attended by you for review in order to be considered for this position.
Gallup-McKinley County Schools: 2022-2023 SY
Classroom Teacher, SPED Teachers, Administrators & Counselors
Up to 100 miles $2,500
101 to 299 miles $3,500
300 + miles $4,500
Signing Incentive (New Teachers & Counselors)
McKinley County Graduates (HS) $22,000
NM Graduates (HS or College) or Within Navajo Nation Boundaries $20,000
All Others $18,000
Relocation expenses for all new teachers, counselors and administrators will be paid in full on the first paycheck of the school year. All other incentives will be paid out over the course of two school years in four installments. Payment will be made ¼ in December of the first contract year, ¼ in May of the first contract year, ¼ in December of the second contract year and ¼ in May of the second contract year. The incentive will be prorated for hires made after the official work calendar start date but prior to September 1, 2023. Any hires made on or after September 1, 2023, will not be eligible to receive the signing incentives listed above. Failure to complete the terms of the employment contract in either of the two school years will result in the forfeiture of the entire signing incentive. Signing Incentives are effective January 24th, 2023.
Eligibility Requirements: To be eligible for the signing incentives, you must be a new employee who was not employed in any transportation position or certified capacity by GMCS during the 2022-2023 school year.
• Exception: Employees moving job class level up to new position (EA to Teacher or Teacher to Principal)
Administration will provide processes and administrative clarification/decision for specific situations that involve these incentives. This includes creating rules to support the incentives successful implementation.