Elementary/Primary School Teacher
JOB TITLE: Elementary/Primary School Teacher
Lummi Nation School (LNS)
OPEN: July 13, 2022 CLOSES: July 27, 2022
EXEMPT: No JOB CODE:
SALARY: LNS Teacher Pay Scale DOE DIVISION: Education
SHIFT: Day DEPARTMENT: Lummi Nation School
LOCATION: Lummi Nation School SUPERVISOR: K-12 Principal
DURATION: SY – 12 Month Teacher Contract VACANCIES: 3
JOB SUMMARY: To create a flexible elementary/primary grade program and a class environment
favorable to learning and personal growth; to establish effective rapport with student; to motivate
student to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for education, in
accordance with each student ability; to establish good relationships with parents and with other staff
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, and other related duties
1. Teaches reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, art, health, physical education,
and music to student in a classroom, utilizing course of study adopted by the Lummi Nation Education
Board, and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs student in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative
regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group
instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each student.
4. Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for
5. Establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning
atmosphere in the classroom.
6. Evaluates student’s academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress
7. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss student’s progress and
interpret the school program.
8. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and
helping student's solve health, attitude and learning problems.
9. Creates and effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin
boards and interest centers.
10. Maintains professional competence through in service education activities provided by the district
and self-selected professional growth activities.
11. Participates cooperatively with the appropriate administrator to develop the method by which the
teacher will be evaluated in conformance with district guidelines.
12. Selects and requisitions books and instructional aids; maintains required inventory records.
13. Supervised students in out of classroom activities during the assigned working day.
14. Administers group standardized tests in accordance with district testing program.
15. Participates in curriculum development programs as directed.
16. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities.
17. Follow the Code of Collaboration developed by the LNS.
Educational Level: K-8 Elementary Education
Valid Washington State Teacher’s Certificate with an endorsement in Elementary/Primary or
working towards certification.
Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and meet eligibility requirements for tribal insurance.
Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies.
KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
Physical Activities: Routine physical activities that are required to fulfill job responsibilities.
Proficient Skills: Communication, instructional strategies that connect the curriculum to the learners,
Satisfactory recommendations from training supervisors or other professionals who have observed the
candidate’s personal characteristics, scholastic achievement, and job-related performance.
Demonstrate cultural sensitivity in teaching and in relationships with students, parents, and
Ability to inform, involves, and collaborates with parents and families to build strong school
partnerships in the educational process. Establish and maintain open effective communication and
good rapport with students, parents, and school personnel.
Ability to maintain confidentiality of records and information.
Ability and willingness to participate in the Professional Learning Community Process
Must pass pre-employment and random drug and alcohol test to be eligible for and maintain
employment, as required by the LIBC Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
This position requires regular contact with or Control over Indian Children and is therefore subject to
an extensive Criminal Background Check and CAMIS Check with Washington State Patrol and
Federal Bureau of investigation Fingerprint Clearance.
Must provide verification of employment from other districts/schools.
Must provide grade transcripts.
Experience working within the Lummi Community with high-risk youth and families in supplying
community support services/referrals; preferred
Must be able to adhere to strict attendance expectations of the Lummi Nation School.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including two (2) doses of a 2-dose series, or one (1) dose of
a 1-dose series, plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to the start date
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
All elements of this job description apply.
Academic School Year (12 Month Teacher Contract)
Salary depends on qualifications.
90 Day Probationary Evaluation Period Applies.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of policy on Evaluation of