Early Childhood Consultant
Early Childhood Consultant
Overview: Northwest AEA provides visionary leadership and quality, student-centered services through relationships with families, schools, and communities. In short, our focus can be summed up in these four words: Inspiring Learning. Changing Lives.
Our vision is to be the first contact for timely and ongoing support to improve the performance outcomes and well-being of all learners.
About the Agency: Northwest AEA provides special education and school improvement services to 34 public school districts and 32 accredited, non-public schools. The agency serves 45,000 students and more than 5000 educators in a 10-county area of Northwest Iowa (Lyon, Osceola, Sioux, O'Brien, Plymouth, Cherokee, Woodbury, Ida, Monona, and Crawford).
Our headquarters is located across from the Morningside College campus in Sioux City with regional offices in Cherokee, Denison, Le Mars, Onawa, and Sioux Center.
Why Northwest AEA?
Our vision, mission, and anchors guide our actions. Staff at Northwest AEA believe that what they do inspires learning and leads to changed lives for the students, staff, and families we serve. Our work is anchored in building positive, professional relationships with stakeholders and with one another. We embrace responsiveness in how we serve so that students, staff, and families can see improved results.
- Current Iowa teaching license
- Masters in early childhood development or related field
- Four years of successful teaching in early childhood programming
Job Purpose: Assist local school personnel and fellow consultants in the development, improvement, and/or implementation of curriculum, instruction, and assessment methods, and materials suited to the needs of students in early childhood programs.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Conduct critical analysis and evaluation of existing curricula supporting the Iowa Early Learning Standards.
- Assist schools in the assessment and evaluation of programs and interpretation of assessment results.
- Maintain liaison with colleges, universities, and other supporting agencies.
- Maintain knowledge of applicable Iowa Department of Education standards, best practices, resources, research, and trends in the area of early childhood.
- Assist teachers in the development of experiences and materials to stimulate student activity and provide for individual differences.
- Advise individuals and committees in the selection of textbooks, computer software, assessment materials, teaching aids and equipment, and professional development.
- Provide content and technique training for school and preschool teachers to improve instruction in early childhood.
- Provide curricular resource consultations for the local schools and the NWAEA professional library.
- Serve on AEA and other local committees dealing with the area of early childhood.
- Assist local districts and communities as they write and submit applications, and administer federal, state, and private cooperative programs when requested.
- Assist with local school and AEA accreditation.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
If you are an internal candidate interested in transferring to this Educational Services position, please contact Sherri Wing (firstname.lastname@example.org) for the proper transfer form. By definition, a transfer in Educational Services means a change in assigned service center. All other candidates should apply by clicking "Apply for this Job."
It is the policy of Northwest Area Education Agency not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, religion, creed, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity and socioeconomic status in its educational programs and its employment practices. There is a grievance procedure for processing complaints of discrimination. If you have questions or a grievance related to this policy, please contact Jerome Schaefer, Equity Coordinator, 1520 Morningside Avenue, Sioux City, Iowa, 51106, 712-222-6114.