Assistant Director of College Counseling
S.C. Governor’s School for Science & Mathematics (GSSM)
As a school recognized for academic excellence where 100% of our students attend college, the South Carolina Governor’s School for Science and Mathematics (GSSM) invites applications for a College Counselor. This is a full-time, 12-month position reporting to the Director of College Counseling and Advising.
On a day-to-day basis, the Assistant Director of College Counseling will:
- Work closely with the individual students in their assigned caseload, recommend colleges for each student to consider based on the student’s interests, and help each student with the college application process, including reviewing essays.
- Counsel the student and parent(s)/guardian(s) through every stage of the college admission process, including applications for merit scholarships, honors programs, and applying for financial aid.
- Write supportive, relevant, and compelling letters of recommendation.
- Prepare school documents for student’s applications and submitting via SCOIR.
- Communicate effectively with parents, via individual student/parent meetings and written correspondence.
- Serve as a teacher in GSSM’s College Planning Seminar in fall and spring, conducting classes on applying to college, resume building, and writing compelling and effective college essays.
- Build and foster strong relationships with college and scholarship representatives to best advocate for our students.
- Serve as the GSSM test coordinator for the PSAT/NMSQT, school-based ACT and SAT, ACT Work Keys and AP test administration. Manage and oversee the administration of standardized testing for all residential and STEM Foundation students.
- Develop and expand long-term relationships with colleges and universities.
- Pursue on-going professional development by attending conferences and college tours.
- Demonstrate proven ability to multi-task, organize events, shift gears, make decisions quickly and most importantly, have fun.
- Serve as a “lead counselor” to college counselors on staff; provide supervision and mentoring.
We are looking for someone who is self-motivated, inquisitive, creative, and appreciates being part of a highly qualified and motivated team. Specifically, we seek someone with:
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in college admissions and/or college counseling. Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Possess an in-depth knowledge of colleges and universities as well as an understanding of the current college admissions landscape.
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and familiarity with using a student database for college admissions such as Scoir or Naviance.
- Intimate knowledge of the financial aid process.
- Excellent communication, writing, and public-speaking skills.
- Availability to work evenings and weekends for special programming.
- Ability to coordinate and accomplish tasks in a deadline-driven environment.
- A strong sense of ethics and professionalism.
- A team-oriented approach to all aspects of the college counseling process and a collaborative spirit of engagement in all professional endeavors.
- Commitment to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive school community.
- Ability to work collaboratively on a team with humility, patience, and a sense of humor.
- Experience working with high school students in an advanced and specialized academic environment is preferable.
This is a full-time (12-month) position with State benefits and salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. The position start date is as soon as possible, but no later than July 1, 2022.
We are especially interested in hearing from candidates who are able to contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community, which we consider indispensable to our future growth and success. Applicants are encouraged to address how they might assist GSSM in this way by discussing it in their cover letter.
If you would like be considered for this opportunity, please complete the GSSM/SC State Employment Application form available on our website at “www.scgssm/jobs.org” and return with your CV or résumé, and a cover letter explaining your interest in the position. Please include “College Counselor” in the subject line.
The Governor’s School is an Equal Opportunity Employer.