Secondary Physics Teacher
South Fayette Twp School District is seeking a Secondary Physics Teacher
REPORTS TO: High School Principal and Assistant Principal
1. Valid Secondary certification in Physics. Preference will be given to candidates with multiple Science certifications, co-teaching experience, experience working with industry partners in order to design and facilitate PBLs, and knowledge of engineering concepts.
2. 3.0 or higher QPA
3. Proof of ongoing professional or educational experience
4. Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
5. Computer literacy
1. To develop in each pupil an awareness of the role of Physics in economic and social progress.
2. To motivate each pupil to acquire knowledge of scientific facts and principles, and skills in scientific methods of problem solving.
3. To encourage students to develop their special talents in the field of Physics.
4. To establish good relationships with students, parents, and other staff members in the senior high school.
1. Teaches skills, knowledge, and scientific attitudes through courses in Physics to secondary pupils, utilizing the approved course of study adopted by the South Fayette Township School District
2. Instructs students in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district
3. Maintains co-teaching responsibilities related to assigned classes involving engineering principles and problem-based/experiential learning
4. Plans a science program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes frequent laboratory activities for optimal learning
5. Demonstrates scientific concepts by use of scientific apparatus, experiments, and standard or teacher-prepared charts, sketches, and other instructional aids, including the use of the computer
6. Differentiates instruction to adapt the curriculum to the needs of all pupils in the classroom and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously
7. Instructs pupils in proper use, care, and safe handling of science equipment
8. Provides for safe storage and proper use of materials, equipment, and tools. Makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to equipment as required
9. Establishes and maintains professional networks and relationships with industry partners to create and design project-based learning experiences for students
10. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior for an orderly, productive learning environment during class sessions, laboratory sessions, and field trips
11. Designs learning activities that will relate science to the physical world
12. Selects and requisitions books, instructional aids, science equipment, chemicals, and supplies appropriate to the interest and maturity level of students; maintains required inventory records
13. Develops weekly lesson plans and instructional materials that foster and enhance learning, stressing discovery and laboratory learning methods
14. Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
15. Encourages students to think independently and to express original ideas
16. Assists pupils in selection and development of individual research projects
17. Cooperates with school administration in providing science displays and programs for the school and community
18. Identifies student needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping students solve health, attitude, and learning problems
19. Evaluates students' progress in scientific knowledge and skills as well as social growth, keeps appropriate and accurate records, and prepares progress reports
20. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss individual student progress and interprets contemporary methods of teaching science for parents
21. Supervises students in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day
22. Works with students and other classroom teachers in coordinating entries in essay contests and other enrichment activities
23. Creates an effective environment for learning through functional and attractive displays, bulletin boards, and interest centers
24. Administers or monitors group tests and/or standardized tests in accordance with the district's testing program
25. Participates in curriculum and other developmental programs
26. Participates in faculty committees and the sponsorship of student activities
27. Checks and responds to e-mail and voice mail daily
28. Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities
29. Demonstrates computer literacy by providing all correspondence and written documentation using Google Workspace and/or Microsoft Office Suite, online learning management systems such as Canvas, PowerSchool, communication tools, and student collaboration tools.
30. Demonstrates computer literacy in using the administrative software program effectively to maintain and retrieve student information and attendance data and to maintain student grades and performance assessments in an electronic gradebook
31. Utilizes available technologies to engage students and enhance instructional practices for students
32. Integrates 1:1 technology into the daily curriculum.
33. Collaborates with colleagues across the curriculum to develop and implement project-based and phenomenon-based learning opportunities.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Terms of employment are in accordance with the agreement between the South Fayette Township Board of Education and the South Fayette Education Association.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated by the Building Principal and Assistant Superintendent and communicated to the Superintendent for review.
Letter of Interest
Act 34, 114, 126 and 151 Clearances
Standard PA Dept. of Education Application Form
Copy of PA Teaching Certificate
Copy of Transcripts (cumulative QPA 3.0 or higher)
NTE/Praxis Scores and/or results of all certification tests
Three Letters of Recommendation
Please submit via email to: email@example.com
E-mail Subject Line must include LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, POSITION
Internal Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m. on May, 23, 2023, or until position is filled