JOB TITLE: Assistant Teacher
DEPARTMENT: Early Childhood Education
This position is responsible for assisting the Lead Teacher in maintaining a developmentally appropriate, stimulating, individualized, safe, and healthy classroom environment for the preschool student as well as encouraging family involvement to further increase school readiness skills.
- Implement agency curriculum to develop lesson plans
- Ensure classroom environment is developmentally appropriate, non-biased, and takes into consideration the social-emotional, cognitive, language and motor skills of the students
- Ensure students are aware of rules and consequences
- Use positive methods of guidance
- Understand and implement the provided curricula
- Conduct daily observations and assessments of students’ progress
- Assist with development of weekly lesson plans
- Follow daily schedule
- Understand the Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) and implement the strategies
- Ensure the individual needs of each student are met
- Ensure I.E.P. and/or behavioral requirements are met
- Encourage parent involvement in student’s education.
- Utilize Learning Genie for parent communication
- Conduct 2 home visits per year, if required
- Administer BDI-3 at initial home visit
- Create newsletters – Lead Teacher to review before submission to supervisor
- Maintain a safe and clean learning environment.
- Ensure required ratio is always maintained
- Ensure all transitions to and from classrooms are safe and well monitored
- Inspect the environment daily to ensure all safety requirements are met – then submit checklist to Heath Manager monthly
- Follow daily cleaning requirements to maintain a healthy learning environment
- Send supply and restocking requests to managers separately ~ Education and Health
- Timely completion and submission documentation and records
- Timecards – semi-monthly
- Home Visit Tracking Forms -monthly
- Mileage – monthly if incurred
- HR documentation and forms – as required and requested
- Student forms for all program components – as required
- Attend required meetings and trainings.
- Attend all meetings as required
- Seek out opportunities for professional development
- Maintain or update certifications
- Recruit families to maintain full enrollment.
- Participate in a minimum of 1 recruitment activity per school year
- Assist with ongoing marketing of programs
- Schedule and oversee classroom volunteers.
- Model developmentally appropriate practices
- Assist volunteers in understanding and engaging in classroom expectations
OTHER DUTIES OF JOB:
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds
- Ensure children’s safety through sight, sound, and mobility
- Must pass initial and periodic physical exam
- Eat meals with children as part of the learning environment
- Perform other related duties as required
- Must maintain confidentiality of children, families, and staff
- Follow established agency policy, safety standards, and applicable regulations
Supervision is received from the Education Managers.
- Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education preferred
- CDA required
EXPERIENCE AND/OR TRAINING
- Two years required
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Interrater Reliability
- CPR and First Aid Certification
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Identify problems, inform others, and provide information
- Communicate effectively with co-workers or customers
- Operating Technology, e.g. smart devices, data base systems, software programs, internet, e-mail
- Adapt to a Constantly Changing Work Environment
- Independent Judgment and Discretion
- Utilize Creativity and organizational skills
- Work Closely with Others
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.