Network Technician - Provisional (Civil Service Competitive Position)
WFLB -Gates-Chili CSD Rochester , NY Full-time Information Services / Technology (IT)
Posted on April 29, 2022
Gates Chili CSD
The Gates Chili Central School District is dedicated to fostering curiosity, growth, and diversity within our school community. The District celebrates and embraces differences and strives to dismantle exclusion, bias, racism, and prejudice of all forms.
Network Technician - Provisional
This is an entry-level technical position involving responsibility for the installation, operation and repair of user equipment that comprises part of the telecommunications network such as micro processors, computer terminals, printers and modems. The employee reports directly to and works under the general supervision of a senior staff member; employees travel to various departments that are on-line to service computer equipment. Supervision of others is not a responsibility of this class. Does related work as required.
- Analyzes malfunctions to determine the nature of the problem and whether a service call should be placed;
- Performs minor repairs on micro processors, terminals, printers and modems as prescribed in vendor manuals;
- Arranges for replacement of all problem equipment;
- Documents equipment problems daily;
- Installs micro processors, computer terminals and printers while conferring with an electrician;
- Maintains an inventory of computer equipment;
- Tests micro process functions, computer network communication signals and resolves any signal quality problems;
- Attaches connector to the computer coaxial cable when appropriate.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses standard office equipment such as personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, telephone.
Working knowledge of computer operation and equipment usage; working knowledge of the operation of peripheral equipment; working knowledge of electronics as it pertains to the installation of user equipment; ability to maintain records and keep an inventory of equipment; ability to establish and maintain effective professional relationships with others; skill in testing network communication signals and identifying problems; willingness to travel to other departments and agencies; initiative; good motor skills; physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office building environments.
- See the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Job Duties for this position.
This is a COMPETITIVE position under Monroe County Civil Service. To be eligible to apply for this position, applicants must meet the criteria listed below:
- Currently possess the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Network Technician;
- have held the Monroe County Civil Service Title of Network Technician within the last four years,
- or appear on the current list of eligibles for the title of Network Technician (only) as established and provided to the Gates Chili Central School District by the Monroe County Department of Human Resources and Civil Service. Unfortunately, lists of eligibles established as a result of examinations for any other title do not satisfy this requirement.
- or be hired as a Provisional Appointment. The qualified applicant may be provisionally appointed and serve in the position until an appropriate eligible list can be established and a permanent appointment made.